Comprehensive and informative retirement solutions for Australians.

Sign up to our monthly newsletter

Aged Care

At some stage during the retirement years, you will potentially require care. This may be care in the home, respite care or the need to receive care on a permanent basis at a residential aged care facility. Read on for more information regarding aged care options:


It is the most basic, entry level home help program for the ageing, who need a small amount of help at home to continue to live independently.


  • A home care package can offer a higher level of support for people living at home with more complex needs.
  • A home care package provides a government subsidy towards a package of care to help people to live in their homes for as long as possible.
  • The home care packages are based on consumer directed care whereby the person receiving the services chooses the care and services that best meet their needs. This means that a home care package provides choice and flexibility in the way that care and support are provided.
Person being supportive to an older person

There are four different levels of packages:

HOME CARE PACKAGE LEVEL 1: Supports people with basic care needs
HOME CARE PACKAGE LEVEL 2: Supports people with low-level care needs
HOME CARE PACKAGE LEVEL 3: Supports people with intermediate care needs
HOME CARE PACKAGE LEVEL 4: Supports people with high-level care needs

Respite care

It is short-term care that maybe on a planned or emergency basis and is designed to give carers or care recipients a break from their typical schedules. Respite care does not need to be formal, however if you don’t have friends or family to assist you, then you may need to access formal respite care.

Empty wheelchairs in a hallway

How do I access respite care?
To access formal respite care, contact My Aged Care to discuss an assessment from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) or the Regional Assessment Service (RAS).

Can I access respite care in the case of an emergency?
When there is a need for emergency respite care, you can call the Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre during business hours on 1800 052 222 or after hours on 1800 059 059.

Residential aged care

You may have heard of an old person’s home, or a nursing home. Nowadays, we often refer to these as Residential Aged Care Facilities or Aged care homes.
Sometimes ageing persons are no longer able to live independently in their own home for many reasons ranging from illness to disability, etc.
Residential aged care is an option for people who are unable to live independently any longer, offering assistance with activities of daily living and in some cases, 24 hour around the clock care if required.

For further information regarding aged care options, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or by visiting www.myagedcare.gov.au.